Through My Eyes

the thoughts and musings of Justin Thorp; the 21 year old college student...son...brother...child of God...friend...boyfriend...and internet geek


Tuesday, March 29, 2005

our silly remote control

When people ask me what I want to do when I grow up, I ask them do you ever get frustrated when you use a remote control?

People can usually tell me of a story where the needed to record something but were unsuccessful. They just happened to miss the sixth keystroke needed to set up the recording of a television show.

Hopefully, with the help of future usability advocates like myself, someone will be able to come up with a remote control that doesn't frustrate the heck out of the common man. I shouldn't need to have a PhD in Computer Science in order to work a remote control for my television.

In our apartment we have a remote and the power button sits right below the channel down button. When your not looking at the remote they also feel exactly the same. For the last three weeks I have been constantly hitting the power button when I meant to hit channel down.

I would have figured that remote control designers would be following the convention that puts the power button in either the upper left or upper right corners. (I will try to post a photo of my remote as I have time.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home