Through My Eyes

the thoughts and musings of Justin Thorp; the 21 year old college student...son...brother...child of God...friend...boyfriend...and internet geek


Friday, May 13, 2005

VoiceOver...the Apple Screen Reader

I recently purchased the new Mac OS 10.4 Tiger. I have had a good time getting to know all of the different and exciting features. One of the features that I am the most excited about is VoiceOver. The screen reader that is built right into the operating system.

I do a lot of work with web accessibility, making the web accesssible to people with disabilities. People often don't understand what a screen reader is or what it does. Well, if you just picked up a copy of Tiger, play around with Voice Over. Roger Johansson wrote some really easy to understand instructions as well a good review of VoiceOver.

I think once you play around with VoiceOver you will understand how important and exciting web accessibility is. My good friend Wayne Dick said, "Accessibility is that anyone who has the ability, has the possibility." I think this will help bring that more into focus for some people.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the most boring blog I have ever read. At least you have a nice picture of you and half of someone else.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that new for Tiger? there's services->speech->start speaking text in Panther ..

Paul

4:43 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Hey Paul,

From what I have read this sounds like it has more of the Jaws screen reader type of funcationality built right into it.

Sounds like in panther the functionality was a lot simpler and it didn't have all of the customization in it that this has.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home